PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COULD you land a passenger jet (if you ONLY hold a PPL)???
Old 18th Oct 2011, 14:13
Bearcat F8F

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question COULD you land a passenger jet (if you ONLY hold a PPL) - INTERESTING UPDATE pg4

Hi everyone,

I've been having a rather ridiculous argument with a friend (both of us hold a PPL) about whether or not I would manage to land a passenger jet (e.g. 737) if for example the plane got hijacked and we found ourselves in the cockpit (after the hijackers were overpowered by the passengers or something like that... doesn't matter really...)

I argue yes. I have been flying in MSFS since 2002 and I am pretty convinced that I would manage to make a visual approach and be able to control a real 737. My PPL knowledge along with flight sims experience would IMO provide all the necessary knowledge I require for basic control of a passenger jet. I am not saying it will be a pretty landing (nor will it involve any proper procedures) but I am saying I stand a good chance at making it happen.

Obviously I got laughed at...

So, any of you real world pilots have any opinions?

P.S. I landed a full motion SSJ-95 sim before (it was at an airshow where they let me fly it).

Last edited by Bearcat F8F; 8th Nov 2011 at 21:50.