PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 18th Oct 2011, 05:03
before landing check list

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see your point Dozy but I have to make exception to this...
A 90 degree bank would endanger the structural integrity of the airframe, especially if pulling G's in the pitch axis. The protections in the A320 allow the pilot to order a full right bank up to 67 degrees and will keep the G loading below 2.5 if pulling, as specified by the aero engineers who designed the thing - if you need more than that for an escape maneouvre then you shouldn't be on the flight deck in the first place.
The 320 that ended in the Hudson was flown with more then basic training given by the company I am sure. Who is to say YOU will not need the "escape maneouvre" when you fly tomorrow dude?

Bank angle itself is almost irrelevant pertaining to "G"loading. I'll bet I can roll one without exceeding much more then 1.5 at the bottom. It will depend on how much and at what rate your pull (pitch). Right? (A basic acro course would sort that out rather fast)
I still say it is nice to be able to have the bank angle and pitch authority not dictated by the computers of the aircraft but a will trained crew who actually knows how to fly.
As far as the "escape maneouvre" goes it is still better to have the tools and not need them (the ability to fly beyond normal limits) then the inverse eh? However that would require more then basic flying skills and FMS management.