PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your husband will never be promoted if you wear trousers
Old 13th Oct 2011, 10:14
Brian 48nav

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
TTN

Your post reminds me of a couple of my 'en-route' experiences.

New Year 70/71 u/s in Antigua for 6 days ( wonderful apart from lack of female company!); Flt Lt captain had single room, MEng refused to share with any other NCO, so second Flt Eng' a Flt Sgt refused to share with the ALM, a Sgt,who refused to share with the 'liney' who was either a Cpl or SAC.

Only 2 sharing - yes you've guessed it! Fg Off Nav and Fg Off co-pilot. The latter, fresh out of Sleaford Tech, was a bit of a pompous git ( hope he's lightened up since his famous piano playing and singing son took up with the Dahl girl!) and remarked one day, 'Its not right being in the same hotel as the other ranks' - 'Why not?' says I - 'If one of them became drunk it could be very awkward if we had to order him to bed'. 'Pete' says I,'Normally its the young Fg Off Co' or Nav who gets pissed and has to be carried to bed by an NCO'.

Early '72 young Flt Lt B48N was detachment commander (don't laugh!) in Nairobi when lots of Ascots were collecting pongoes from their annual Kenya exercise.

Due to great timing the East African Trade Fair was on at the same time and hotel rooms were at a premium. No prob' all the Herc and Belfast guys were happy to share. But, having noticed I had a VC10 due, I sent a signal to Upavon, copied to all the Changi Slip stations, stating the problem and please do not bring female crew members ( just loadies and stewards in those days).

You've guessed it again! Mighty 10 arrives and out steps a female loadie.I asked the captain ( 'Are you a real Sqn Ldr or just a VC10 skipper!) had he seen the signal. The obnoxious barsteward replied he had ignored it and didn't I realise that he and his crew would be rejoining the Changi slip at the next stop.

I was saved by the Herc crew who arrived 10 minutes later. A Lyneham wing crew, 5 real Sqn Ldrs plus one NCO, and they said 'Don't worry Brian, we saw your signal and are happy to double up'.

Last edited by Brian 48nav; 13th Oct 2011 at 10:19. Reason: One word not needed