PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2011, 13:17
pipersam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stevop21,

I've just finished my groundschool with CTC and I'm due to fly off to NZ on the 9th November.

I completely agree with the above posts, but just to add a few little extras and my personal opinion:

Most of the guys on my course have accepted the fact that flexicrew is the most likely outcome at the end of the course. Looking at the statistics of flexicrew, most of the guys are earning well in excess of what you would be earning as a cadet entry pilot and even some direct entry salaries. The obvious downside is that you are not on a contract, thus no security and no guarantee of flying hours.

The other thing to think about is how the market is set to improve over the next year (touch wood that nothing brings it crashing back down again such as the EU economy...). CTC are bringing a lot more students into the wings course which has been evident of the three courses joining after I started. We've also been told that the hold pool is due to be empty by the end of year and the increasing likelihood of a very short wait, if any, after finishing the AQC. Also, if the demand for pilots keeps increasing, then with it will likely come added benefits including going straight onto contract with Easyjet, joining other airlines as cadet/direct entry, cheaper type ratings and higher wages.

Also, CTC may handover endless pages of contracts to sign, with clauses making you feel like your handing your life over to them, but remember that they are a business, and they will always protect themselves. Saying this, CTC are not in a position to receive bad publicity. As an example, one of the clauses in the contract states that you may be ejected from the hold pool after a period of 12 months if you have not been employed. Whilst this is in the contract, you'll find that CTC have never actually done this. Even during the economic crisis.

However, this is all to be taken with a pinch of salt, as things are said, rumours are spread, and as always, marketing departments remain at the top of the expenditure spreadsheet. What is evident though, as said previously, CTC still provides the best employment opportunities.

Regards