PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SLS Mk II
Thread: SLS Mk II
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2011, 15:18
quadspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilots with any depth of experience, i.e. DESO/FO’s definitely aren’t readily available here. Based on this any new pilots that would have qualified for the DESO/FO employment stream would still be allowed expat terms under the RDO section 13.
Once any cadet has been checked to line as an FO, SFO, Captain or STC he most certainly fits the "with any depth of experience" description. Doing the same job, with the same qualifications and skill set but receiving a lower wage because he or she happened to be born a Hong Kong Resident is discrimination. In fact, the RDO specifically mentions discrimination based on "national origin" as falling within the scope of the RDO. (8.1.a)

CX is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Hire on expat terms and pay the penalty, or hire cheaply on local terms and hope it stays afloat. CX is not hiding behind the RDO. If they wanted to end all expat terms and conditions, they could have done so at any point in the past 30 years. But they knew they couldn't get the crew they wanted, and continued to offer 'the package.'

CX are laughing all the way to the bank not having to pay expat terms to new pilots.
'Not having to pay expat terms to new pilots' has a direct impact on the calibre of recruitment. I can assure you many in Flight Ops are not "laughing all the way to the bank", but are genuinly concerned where this will take us 10 years down the road. Which I believe was the reference which started this discussion.