PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Headset Slipping under G
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2011, 05:39
xgjunkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Examples...Chipmunk. Failed to recover from spin. 2 shilling coin found in control system limiting stick movement. 2 dead. Historical, I know

Assuming you have never been in a spin, I challenge you to climb out of a cockpit while the aircraft is spinning, good luck.

Very recent. Pitts 12 Failed to recover from inverted? spin. 2 dead.

Again, simply opening the canopy and hoping to fallout faster than the aircraft is decesding which from memory in a Pits is >6000ft/minute is prob not possible.

NZ Formation aeros practice. One Harvard cuts the tail off another. Next option for the tail-less? None. 1 dead.

Lets say he was at the legal minimum for aerobatics of 3000ft AGL, with no tail i can assume said aircraft was in a pretty steep descent which would mean they might have had maybe 20 seconds to get out and inflate the chute, chute wouldnt have made a difference

Glider pilot gets flung thru the canopy in a violent thermal after removing straps to adjust instrument. Next option... pull ripcord. 1 lives to tell the tale.

What the?? That man deserves a Darwin award, sounds like a urban myth to me

US airshow pilot, when giving a Stearman a VERY had work out, had a wing fold up.
Next option... "goodye, charlie" and pull the rip cord. 1 lives to tell the tale.

He must have had a fair bit of altitude which implies he was not in an airshow, do you have details of this incident, I would be interested.

And I bet the two instructors in a Tommahawk that was reluctatant to come out of a spin had a think flash "parachute"!!??!! on the way down. Surveve, but only just .

Reluctant to come out of a spin, x2 instructors. I assume there was some sort of failure or is it the two instructors were just dopes. Most GA aircraft descend >6000ft per minute in a stable spin, by the time you are out of the incipient phase, stable and then attempt to come out of it, you only have thirty seconds maybe before you hit the ground. That would not be enough time to have the ohh bugger moment and realise that you need to get out and then get clear of the aircraft and inflate your chute assuming you can even get out in the first place.

On Harvard Adventure flights in the US... parachute required, a briefing and etc.
And if little old Granny wont jump because she's too afraid, the pilot can chuck her out, because the 'chutes were fitted with barometric auto release.
Height and time permitting of course.

I believe on any flight in the USA conducting aerobatics, parachute is required.

For FLs/high altitude mapping in PNG, I used one as a back cushion. That was MY insurance policy, because if we had a fire.... no chance of getting to the ground before the wing fell off. 2 like aircraft fell to earth, fiery and wrongly while I was there.. so I felt much better for it. At least I had another option.

Ok, I agree with that, rugged terrain with no where to land, fair call.