PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VALE - Jack Funnell - Mildura Instructor
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2011, 08:22
class72mildura

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
life long friend and mentore

I was not able to absorb this terrible news that my life long friend and above all the man that saved my life several times through passing his knowledge onto me had passed away. It all started by him asking if he could have a ride on my brand new cb450 honda in june of 1972. (Can I take it for a spin BOY) My reply was "can I have a fly?" while looking at PBC. He immediately called GB outside and said, take greg for a fly, I'm pi--ing off on his bike. Jack was and always will be a dear friend. I can still remember that little triumph herald ripping up our driveway in Irymple when I was about 6 years old. I then lost touch with Jack until that day that he rode my bike. I found my way into a few tight spots while up there in one of the PB's over the years, but Jacks passed on knowledge saved everything. I remember the last time that i renewed my licenence with him. Here I am a VFR pilot, hit the soup at 2000 feet about 4 miles out of Mildura headed for Adelaide, collecting ice at 6500 and jack just sat there playing around with my new electronic flight computer. "What do ya want me to do jack?" Its your bird "BOY" do what you think is right, its your decision. I did what i thought was right, then through the headphones came, "i musta taught you right boy". Last time i seen Jack was on a visit to mildura last year and had a can or two with him in his hangar. The angels have got the best instructor they ever had now, really miss ya mate, hope your the one to give me my next set of wings. GMA.