PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VALE - Jack Funnell - Mildura Instructor
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2011, 11:26
shnev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jack will be missed

I never thought I'd have heard of Jacks passing on the Internet, what shocking news. I will attend the funeral, can anyone else who is going please PM me?

I'd like to share my memories:
I did my CPL with Jack in 2004. I had so much fun, his PSL exercise was brilliant - "now son, picture yourself in as much sh1t as you could ever imagine"

Twin training- excellent. "Now, my boy, when pilots shut down the wrong engine it usually means the dopey b@stard was sitting their daydreaming of his wife's sister"....

Refueling in Broken Hill, he did the fuel test and said "son, I just better give it a taste," dipped his middle finger in the fuel sample and put his index finger in his mouth (but made it totally look like he licked the same finger!!) "right son, she's good to go"

Very old fashioned, still used fax to get the weather and submit flight plans...

I believe the day he issued my CPL he said I was about his 6500'th CPL student, and he was 67 years old then. he would pick me up in the valiant (that he run on avgas!) and take me to training everyday.

I remember doing circuits in the tomahawk (which he loved calling the "THOMASHAWK"!) and every time a Rex or Qlink would call inbound, everyone would say "Hi jack"... Then he'd turn to me and say "He's one of my boys!"..... I used to say back "I'll be one of your boys one day too mate"!!

Just writing this I've managed to get watery eyes, I think all would agree we've lost Australia's finest instructor. You'll live long in my memory pal

Nev B