PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What happened to G-ARFY
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2011, 09:54
Foxtrotoz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great to hear from you Planemike

Many thanks for your kind offer to send on photos. I know Mum has a photo of the Commanche 'foxtrot yanky' in pride of place on her photo shelf. She looks very glamourous standing there after her first solo flight at Eastleigh next to a big hangar. That plane was her pride and joy. Hearing how sad its demise was explains why she can't mention it. Dad died when she was only 50 and it took her over 20 years to put his photo on display. It was all too sad so the family doesn't usually bring the past up. But... I told her of your earlier posts mentioning Dad and I could see she was thrilled someone remembered!!

So thanks for the offer but it was actually your earlier posts that got me thinking I'd join this forum and find out more about those days. I think one reason I have such vivid memories of those days is that life was so interesting hanging out with such a fun bunch of pilots! Who could forget? Every flight is etched in my memory form age 3 onwards. But I only recently learned that others are fascinated by that era too. I was talking to local (Australian) radio hams recently for whom the history of radar and the Super Marine works are still of immense interest. So much of Dad's early life was 'secret' so he couldn't say most of it. His journey in the war as an RAF radar instructor led to his business in Southampton - but ruined his health.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated!!! Cheers