PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Call for Queensland police helicopter
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2011, 22:43
rivnut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its interesting to note that for the past 2 decades we are still only status quo with the number of rotary Police Aviation units in this country....talking about a no growth industry!!

There are still only 3 units: Sydney, NSW (who are still working out the way forward); Melbourne, Victoria (got their **** together and well matured) and Perth, WA (an emerging and maturing outfit).

I would say that VicPol has the most sophisticated Air Wing with 3 x AS365N3, 1 x EC135, 1 x high-end fixed based sim and 14 pilots all IFR and NVG qualified. Perth would have to be the next one and developiung nicely. it has, I believe, purchased 2 x AS365N3 with the first in Bankstown being put together. And Sydney, well it just needs to get its act together.

What amazes me is that the next biggest city after Melb and Syd is Brisbane, which has no Police Air Wing....go figure. With the slow but constant emergence of Sunshine and Gold coasts into Bribane it will soon have the biggest urban sprawl and most definitely in need of aerial support to its police on the ground. perth is only a small town in comparison and it already has a very credible Air Wing compared to Brisbane's none!

Wake up Brissy and get out of the 19th century!