PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of Parking Brake - C172
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2011, 06:12
172_driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use of Parking Brake - C172

Hiya all,

I've been assigned to produce a new set of SOP:s for the school I am working for. The material we have now is really poor, both in content and presentation. The school's philosophy is to not deviate from the POH at all, I may add items but not remove. There arises the question about the use of parking brake in C172 (or any small plane for that matter). Yes, the POH says "Parking Brake - SET" for a number of situations incl. before start-up, before take-off and securing. But I have a few concerns if this is actually good practice or not...

I've was taught to fly in an environment where using the parking brake could have serious effects, e.g. taxying through slush that freezes the brake. So I personally don't use it extensively nor have I ever taught to do it. The students simply hold the brakes with their feet while the engine is running. Some of the concerns of always setting the parking brake I can think of:

- Since it's on the secure checklist in the POH, and the aircraft are parked outside overnight, the aircraft will certainly experience significant temperature changes which can both damage the parking brake and relieve the pressure holding it so what's the purpose?

- We're operating from a busy GA aerodrome, regularly told to expedite departures. Can easily see how the parking brake will be forgotten in this case, especially solo, unless last point on before take-off checklist says to release parking brake.

- Using the parking brake every time they stop, they may eventually rely too much on it? Until the day it fails… Good practice is of course to keep your feet on the pedals anyway.

- Maintenance issue, if it's used extensively during a normal training day with maybe five or more flights, will it eventually wear out and break? Unnecessary cost?

What are you other people's take on the matter? Of course it's always advisable to operate i.a.w. the POH, but in some cases I am not sure if the checklists in the POH are written for the type of operation that we do. Thanks for your help in advance!