PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TURKISH A340 SKID OF RWY AT VABB
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2011, 21:07
Agent Mulder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any taxiway instruction on landing is a "request".

No ATC has the legal right to determine the landing distance of the airplane and as such any "take taxiway ........." instruction should be responded to with "Roger" (I have received all of the last transmission). At no time is any pilot obliged to comply with such an instruction.

The current practice of Singapore ATC to issue runway vacating instructions whilst aircraft are in the landing roll is also of concern. At a time when an airplane is decelerating to taxi speed and engines are in reverse thrust, taxi instructions are an unwelcome and unneeded distraction.

ATC’ers around the world. Request a simulator observation and get yourself put in the seat for a landing role as the PNF. Amongst the myriad of checks and support calls have the instructor issue taxi instructions and see for yourself how distracting it is. Then repeat the exercise with a brake failure or an engine overtemping whilst in reverse.

I understand you are busy and I have the greatest respect for the service you provide, however, another 10 seconds won’t make a great difference.

In addition, the controller working Calcutta who thinks it is a job where you are paid by the speed of your delivery, SLOW DOWN.