PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TURKISH A340 SKID OF RWY AT VABB
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2011, 14:17
Speed Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my views...
turkish normally operates a 330-200/300 into bombay and i was surprised to know it was a 340 that was involved in this incident...i feel this was a one off day that they got the 340....so maybe it was a crew who were coming into land for the first time into bombay...would have been holding for the runway to open after the scheduled runway closure for 30 min every night...must have landed and atc would have asked confirm able n7 (which they do with me everytime while i am abeam n7 and having no intention of vacating via that) ...they would have said no and would be feeling this guy wants us to vacate and looking for n8.....and in the confusion with the rain and a first time visit to a field and the rapid exit taxi lightings, they would have just taxiied into the grass thinking its the taxitrack....because that is exactly what it looks like...

as for the people doing reduced flap landings into bombay for fuel savings our company policy doesnt allow us for a reduced flap landing on glideslope > 3.15 degrees...(vabb being 3.3) and on wet/contaminated runways....

during my training days i would end up being too fast for n7 and too slow for n8 and then would here shouts of expediting by the atc......so now its idle reverse on a dry runway with very gentle braking for n8 always...i dont try for n7 unless there is a 10kt headwind and a very light 319....and for wet runway...i am not legally allowed to land...so......