PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia: Training, Licence Conversion, Job Prospects
Old 3rd Sep 2011, 17:33
murdock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just at Becker at the end of last year. All very friendly and good staff. A well run operation, and a very nice flying environment. I visited at Chopperline, and for me, Becker was a better fit. I had friends there, and I liked the airport environment better. Close to Noosa and some good beaches for some surfing, and a pretty laid back area.

As Eipiphany said. I was completely shocked at how much everything cost. It was my first time in Australia, and the Australian dollar is very strong at the moment. Add to that, the rental and training costs are very high in Australia. It was definitely a good spot for foreign pilots, and Becker had a lot of them there when I was hanging out, but towards the end of last year, they were really hurting for money as they were paying for their training in Euros, and this was no longer a saving, with the cost of living being so high as well. So make sure you have plenty of dosh to pay for training. R22 will run you over AUD$500 an hour, and R44 over AUD$1000 an hour. Plus the CASA costs and very high, and a nightmare to deal with. From my experience with Transport Canada, FAA, CAA and JAA, I found CASA to be the worst aviation agency to deal with.

Good luck anyways. PM me if you have any questions about Becker. Still know a lot of the people down there, and the Chief Pilot is an awesome guy!