PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Airways Trainee First Officer
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2011, 18:10
aroumika

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@concorde77
i'm glad you mentioned LASIK, i have a power of -1 and -0.75 which might be comparatively less, but i can't stand wearing glasses / lens, it gets only my every last nerve i might consider LASIK at some point of time in the future if my power continues to increase, so i just wanted to ask you a few questions:
1) is there any procedure to go through with DGCA before going in for LASIK? do we require their permission? how do you go about this?
2) does DGCA have any prescribed or suggested doctors for LASIK or can this be done anywhere?
3) what is the lay-off period from flight duty after a LASIK procedure is done and is another DGCA medical required soon after as well?
4) is there a risk of being temporarily or permanently declared medically unfit due to LASIK?
5) does any airline facilitate / help a pilot in need of LASIK by helping out with the procedures involved with DGCA?

hope you can let me know the answers to these questions, the answers to your questions in short are:
1) yes, under normal circumstances, you would be able to do your class 1 renewal in chennai, with every 4th compulsory renewal done at IAM Bangalore / DELHI AFCME
2) but in your case, as your medical certificate specifies, you would have to do every renewal at IAM Bangalore / DELHI AFCME, possibly because of the LASIK surgery, so yes "review" means "renewal", until your medical certificate doesn't state that point anymore
3) they go by your medical certificate which states that you still have to wear glasses, so yes you would still have to
4) i haven't yet been to either places for a renewal yet, so i wouldn't know

to all the jet candidates: have the gd's been continuing according to schedule despite the heavy rains in mumbai or have there been any delays?