PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turbulence at Malaga airport?
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2011, 13:40
scotbill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're not alone in being worried about turbulence. The thing to remember (to put it at its simplest) is that turbulence is caused by changing currents in the air. Air is a fluid just like water and at jet speeds it can feel almost as hard. (100 mph winds can blow down large trees).
Note that an aeroplane can be sitting in a 200 mph jet stream which is perfectly smooth - just like a smooth flowing river. However, close to the banks of a river there will be lots of eddies where the current is slowed. Similarly you will find turbulence at the edges of the air currents as speed changes. In cloud or close to mountains there may be up and down currents to contend with.
Used to do a passsenger announcement along the lines of "Ladies and gentlemen, I'm sorry if this turbulence is making the flight uncomfortable for you. I would just like to reassure you that the aeroplane is perfectly comfortable with it. Those of you sitting near the wings may notice that they flex in turbulence. They are designed to do that!"

Agree with my colleagues - Malaga should be fine.

Last edited by scotbill; 24th Aug 2011 at 13:42. Reason: typo