PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR20/22
Thread: Cirrus SR20/22
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2011, 16:42
gassed budgie

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Have done just on 200hrs in an SR22 over the last 12 months, so some personal impressions.
Hard seats, nowhere to hide from the sun on a hot day, very loud in the cabin (absolutely, positively don't forget your headset), relatively easy to fly and land once you get used to the side stick controller (a gimmick courtesy of the marketing department at Cirrus), not as fast as some might suggest. Look for around 165 ktas running lean of peak. Rich of peak it runs along at around 172 ktas with a 5 usg/hr increase in the fuel flow.
The IO-550 installation in the Cirrus runs exceptionally smooth whilst running LOP. No lean of peak roughness whatsoever.
I have an overwhelming urge at times to pull the panic handle in the middle of the cabin ceiling, just to see what happens. After this feeling subsides, I gingerly replace the pin and cover, just in case something does in fact go bang.
Flew a brand new SR22 about six months ago and I have to say I was mightly impressed by the Garmin 1000 package and the digital autopilot. It flew the thing like it was on rails. Having said that, when the owner was flying the aircraft later in the day, he was that busy operating the system he torgot to look outside and sailed right on past Morrabbin!
The later Cirrus's are a definite step above the earlier machines and are nice machine to fly. Just don't take to close a look up under the panel or ahead of the firewall, otherwise you might notice all of those cheap fittings and connections that Cirrus has a tendency to use.