PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - $360k going rate for Aussie based A330 Captains?
Old 19th Aug 2011, 06:43
caneworm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are a few possible scenarios here.

1. You take LOA & you elect to take a China basing and commute to and from China. Yes, you will be issued with (china) tax receipts, however as you are commuting you are not deemed non-resident for tax purposes and at the very least you will required to pay the ATO the difference between chinese & oz tax. Even if you don't commute and leave your family in oz, you will still pay tax.

2. You take LOA & you elect to take an oz basing. Yes, you will be issued with (china) tax receipts, but since you are based, (read domiciled) in oz, the ATO couldn't give 2 hoots about your dodgy tax receipts and as a consequence you will pay 'full-freight' tax.

3. You take LOA and elect to take a china basing. You pack up your whole family and move wholus-bolus to china. In this case I would spend the money and get water-tight advice (in writing) from my accountant AND the ATO.

4. You resign from your oz employer and move to live and work in another country. In this case, pretty sure your in a strong position regarding tax obligations, but you become an aviation gypsie for the rest of your career.

airdualbleedfault, not 100% sure but I think the 180 day rule has either been removed or made more restrictive. You may recall wayne swann changed the rules, for the worse, back in '08.

As always, get all the info. What could be a great adventure may end up being a (financial) disaster.

Last edited by caneworm; 19th Aug 2011 at 06:54. Reason: grammar