PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2011, 22:45
infrequentflyer789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChristiaanJ
Thanks, PJ2!
Sadly, it's just a pdf of a PowerPoint slideshow.... one can still hope for the full text of the presentation at the conference.
There's a bit more here: 20101536_SafetyFirst-11-Toconsult
and here: Stop Stalling | Flight Safety Foundation
still looks a bit like a report about a report though

The first few slides in that are in some ways the most worrying - explaining AOA and stall about how I would explain it to my kids (based on my knowledge from long ago when part of my career was in building stuff that flys), and a whole slide on how nose-down reduces AOA. I'd expect to be yawned or jeered off stage presenting that to actual pilots. I really really hope the transcript that went with those first slides was along the lines of "you all know that, and that, and that" but I fear it may not be.

I've looked at stall accident reports before, fascinated (I thought) at how panic and confusion could override the best of training... but I am starting to believe that this industry really has managed to train a generation of pilots who don't acutally know the basics of what keeps a plane in the air, and think(from their training) that they can accelerate and climb out of a stall.

If so, it's probably taken decades to come to light, and will probably take as long to fix. I find it more than slightly scary. Am I the only one ?