View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2011, 13:08
RWA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quoting philip2412:-

"do you believe,every pilot inthe whole wide world,capable of flying an jet
a/c would after a/p disconnect had put the a/c in a climb of 7000ft/m ?"

Welcome, philip2412.

But as to your question, it remains by no means certain that the climb was caused by pilot inputs. Please refer to Page 111 of the BEA's third report:-

http://www.bea.aero/docspa/2009/f-cp...90601e3.en.pdf

This shows that, at the time the THS started moving and the sudden climb commenced, the PF was applying relatively small movements, up or down - largely consistent, in my less-than-expert view, with an attempt to 'fly pitch and power.' However, the THS was already well on its way to 'full up.'

Agreed, the PF later applied TO/GA and a lot of noseup - presumably in response to the stall warnings. But by that time the aeroplane was ALREADY in a steep climb that, on the available evidence, had been commanded not by the PF but by the THS.

For confirmation, it's worth mentioning that, if you look further down the table, you'll see that the increase in the angle of attack from the point the THS began moving appears EXACTLY to parallel the THS's progress towards 'full up'........ and started long before the PF applied full noseup stick.

I'm prepared to accept that the pilot(s) could, arguably, have made a better job of attempting to recover. But I'm not at all sure that 'pilot error' caused the initial steep climb. Indeed, on the (limited) available evidence, it appears to have been the THS that started it, not the PF.......

Last edited by RWA; 18th Aug 2011 at 13:28.