PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2011, 04:35
westhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Differing perceptions

GarageYears:

I guess all those joyful hours I spent flying Decathalons, Citabrias and Super Cubs gave me an entirely different perspective than yours. I find the "center stick" arrangement quite natural and easy to make precise control inputs with. It took me just a matter of minutes to adapt. It's not just me either.

Sidestick controllers came into vogue in the past couple of decades and I've yet to fly a plane so equipped. I'm sure they're fine too when properly designed with sensible force/motion/feedback (feel) built in. Long-EZ and Airbus pilots seem to like it. Pilots have adapted to a number of differing man/machine interface system designs over the course of aviation history. Some worked better and were more accepted than others. Some arrangements are better suited to certain missions. But you won't find many pilots with "stick" time who think it's a bad or even uncomfortable system to use. I'll agree that "center sticks" probably won't be anyone's first choice for installation on large transports!

The lack of motion interconnect on the Airbus sidesticks is something worthy of consideration though...