PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Ground Services (QGS) is a newly created entity under Qantas Airways
Old 15th Aug 2011, 09:35
RampDog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Have to agree with nearly everything that has already been said about outsourcing. There is one thing though that continues to bug me, and that is, that the majority opinion seems to be that people that are employed on some second (or third) tier agreement are lacking in skills, competency or motivation. The truth is, and I see it everyday, that most men and women taking positions with the likes of QGS or Jetstar or Toll Dnata or Tiger etc etc are probably more educated, motivated and career driven than their olden day predecessors. The reality is, that every day the world becomes more competitive and it's this competition that puts any employer in a high demand industry such as aviation in the box seat to dictate ever decreasing terms and conditions. Sure, it can be said that no-one is forced to accept that, but the option is to not be in the "game".
Most people and willing to take a chance, try it out and back themselves to go to the higher levels that still exist. Some make it, most don't, that's the competition amongst ourselves.
It is not true that "you pay peanuts & you get monkeys", I have worked with (and still working with) many exceptional people who should be doing better but struggle with two jobs to meet their commitments.
When the supply of people lining up for aviation jobs dries up, then QANTAS, Virgin et al will have no choice but to up the ante. We do deserve better, but I can't see that happening any time soon unfortunately.
By the way why is it that if you have an interest in aviation and you're not a pilot or LAME, people think that you're a buffoon, plane spotter or a nufty? Everyone does their bit to keep the machine rolling, right or wrong?