PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Putting Waypoints/Flight Plan Into the Garmin G1000
Old 11th Aug 2011, 09:07
Yellow Son

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Putting Waypoints/Flight Plan Into the Garmin G1000

The G1000 system is a wonderful bit of kit, but it can be tedious to insert a multi-leg flight plan - especially as the standard checklist dictates that you do this after engine start, which doesn't seem to me to be a productive use of time/fuel/hours. Garmin provide an obvious solution, which is to prepare the flight plan offline (eg on a PC at home), write it to a SD card, then pop the SD card into the slot designed for the purpose on the G1000.

Great - except that I can't find out how to get the Flight Plan onto the SD card in the first place. Oddly, the documentation is quite helpful in explaining how to get a Flight Plan out of the G1000 onto a SD card, though it doesn't explain why anyone would want to do that. I have tried asking Garmin what the format should be, and what Flight Planning packages, if any, support it; but I haven't had an answer which I can make any sense of. They did email me this link, but it doesn't work.

Brief description of the problem:
Escalation from KANA On Demand Self Service Subject: Input flight plan sd card Message: What format must a flight plan be in to export it from my PC to the G1000 by SD card? What flight planning software packages will allow this? Knowledge Session Log URL:http://iqc.garmin.com/eCustomer/KODSelfService/sample.jsp?session={b4e9e2b0-c37d-11e0-c838-000000000000}

My query is - has anybody out there succeeded in transferring a PC-generated Flight Plan by SD card to the G1000? If so, how?