PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone been to Salerno, Costa d'Amalfi Airport recently?
Old 10th Aug 2011, 09:16
proudprivate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying in Southern Italy

Salerno was recommended to me by AfricanPilot (who is, I believe, Italian) and by a former flight instructor of mine. There is avgas available (but at Italian prices, i.e. 2.50 EUR + VAT per litre).

I can also recommend (if you are ok with German) this website which explains almost every quirk you need when flying in Italy. The three most important tips are :
- flight plans cannot be filed online at the enav website and you need to call the ARO in Rome or Milan.
- budget plenty of time for administration nonsense. The key word is "pazienza". But the people are very friendly.
- read the NOTAMS (by doing a search on the airports you need (LIRI in this case) - the whole document is about 200 pages) and the airport information found on the eNav website.

My Italian is non-existent, but the guy's English was pretty good.
I would NOT bank on that. From 50 km south of Rome, "Abbiamo un problema di lingua". Whilst the radios and towers will be manned by English proficient people, once on the ground (avgas / car rental / hotel etc..) the situation changes dramatically.