PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone been to Salerno, Costa d'Amalfi Airport recently?
Old 10th Aug 2011, 03:52
Wrong Stuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I nearly went there maybe three years ago. I was going to a wedding nearby and it was the ideal airfield to fly into.

I rang them up a month in advance to check on fuel availability, parking, landing fees, handling etc, etc for the weekend I was there and everything seemed good. My Italian is non-existent, but the guy's English was pretty good. I rang them up a week in advance to check all was ok and again they were very helpful and looked forward to welcoming me.

Two days before the flight I checked the NOTAMs to discover they were digging up the runway that weekend. A quick telephone call confirmed that was indeed the case and the airfield would be closed for some time. I guess it must have just slipped their minds. Plan B was to fly in to Naples, but by coincidence, Naples were digging up their own runway too that very same weekend.

I ended up flying into Rome on EasyJet and driving the rest of the way.

Italy is absolutely lovely. But it's a bit of a nightmare flying there. Make sure you have a plan C.