PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2011, 18:53
CelticRambler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Le Figaro's inside source: Unpublished CVR

An article hinting at some of the dirt yet to be thrown, but possibly also explaining the sudden withdrawal of cooperation ...

Il est 0h15 à bord du vol AF 447. Alors que tous les avions présents sur la zone ont choisi ou vont choisir de modifier leur route pour éviter une zone de cumulonimbus, le commandant de bord du vol AF 447 dit à son collègue: «On ne va pas se laisser emmerder par des cunimbs.» Les «cunimbs» sont les cumulonimbus chargés de glace qui peuvent entraîner un givrage des sondes Pitot. L'AF 447 est le seul avion, la nuit du 1er juin, à avoir poursuivi sur une route rectiligne. Il ne modifiera sa trajectoire que de 12 degrés en arrivant à proximité du phénomène météo. Il sera alors trop tard pour l'éviter. Vingt minutes avant le crash, le commandant de bord annonce: «Ça va turbuler quand je vais aller me coucher.» Puis au moment de quitter le cockpit: «Bon allez, je me casse.» Le commandant de bord est donc allé se coucher en connaissance de cause juste avant les turbulences qui ont marqué le début du drame.
For the benefit of non-francophones, the quoted speech translates as "We're not going to let ourselves be messed about by some CNs [i.e. reason for not deviating] ... that'll be [pretty rough] when I go for my rest ... Right, I'm off."

According to the article this section of the recording was excluded from the interim report because "it didn't add to the explanation of what caused the accident". I suspect the criminal investigation will think otherwise. The inside source also reports that Air France is dragging its heels with regard to providing the BEA with full details of the crew's training. You'd almost wonder if someone in the BEA lost a relative in the crash and has decided there's no honour in protecting AirFrance just because it's French ...