PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopters and Superyachts
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2011, 23:29
TacomaSailor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A whole 'nuther world

In the mid '90s I was at the Fort Lauderdale boat show looking for a biggish sailboat. I was working with a broker whose main business was very large yachts. I started hanging around boats in the early '70s and had done work for several large boat owners. I thought I knew a bit about boats - but a short balding guy with south European accent walked up to the broker and told a story that showed me how little I really knew about high end boats.

The gentleman, in his mid-40s, was closely accompanied by two very large and obviously fit men wearing sports jackets with pronounced bulges under each arm. He began to berate, in a friendly but stern voice, the broker. His complaint was that the yacht the broker had sold him earlier in the year had actually cost several million more than anticipated.

The Bell helicopter that came with the yacht was so unreliable that the new owner had to buy a 2nd helo and employ a second crew just to be sure that he would have one helo that could fly when he wanted it.

He also asked if the broker knew how much it cost to fly the 2nd helo from New York to Miami or Nassau or anywhere in the Caribbean? And... why hadn't the broker told him about all those expenses.

They parted on a jovial note but the broker was not as happy and carefree the rest of the afternoon as we looked at my, by now, rather mundane 60' sailboats.