PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2011, 16:04
ChristiaanJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose rivets
As far as I know after some weeks torn from the internet, the standby horizon was unaffected by the computer derived errors. Although the main systems were probably okay....
So far there are no 'hints' either that the main attitude displays were affected at all.
...the idea of the standby is that its power supply should be maintained and its internal workings unaffected by the plethora of information inputs. If in doubt, check that little unit.
Not relevant here, but the "old-fashioned" electro-mechanical standby AH would remain stable and reliable (because of the high gyro rotor speed) for minutes after everything else went "kerplunk". It's still credited with saving a Caravelle when the entire electric systems went belly-up.

----

Just a video of a random 330.
Not quite random, since it has an independent 3-inch standby A/I. The AF A330 that crashed had an "ISIS", a bigger standby 'instrument cluster' on a separate screen (there should be a photo somewhere on this or the other AF447 thread). Hence I assume the video was not of an Air France A330.

Even the standby is electronic. I would love to see a gyro in there somewhere.
I don't know what the type/manufacturer of that particular standby A/I is.
But I think that you'll discover the old and well-known fully electro-mechanical SFENAs have now left the stage, but that behind that electronic display there's still an independent gyro. Switching to an electronic display just made the mechanical bits simpler....

Probably a translation plus press-speak, but some of the dialog must be from the transcripts. Totally horrifying.
The dialogue that the Herald quotes is indeed based on translated excerpts from the transcripts.