PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2011, 12:29
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RWA
Well, I guess this is all the extra information we are going to get. 'The aeroplane behaved perfectly, the pilots just stuffed up (now including the captain)........' etc. etc.
I don't know how a request for addition of an AoA indicator, as well as numerous additions to flight recorder parameters indicates that the BEA considered the aircraft "perfect".

Hopefully the interim report proper will be published after today's press conference, but it looks to me like what the BEA are saying is that while it appears that the crash was in part caused by a mishandling of the aircraft in the wake of a UAS incident, exacerbated by night IMC and unsettled weather, it also suggests that the pilots did not receive proper training in either manual aircraft handling at high speed and high level flight, CRM training in how to operate and communicate on the flight deck when the captain is on his rest period, and that the aircraft itself presents information that could be perceived as confusing when outside of its flight envelope. In short, there's room for improvement at both AF and Airbus (and I suspect the industry in general).

[EDIT : Note that my info comes from the "Synthesis" and Recommendations published this morning, which may not have been available when you posted. If anything I think that highlights the importance of taking any press-filtered information with the requisite shovelful of salt.]