PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA - lifestyle and work/life balance
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2011, 20:17
757_Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it depends on where you come from and what you are used to, however the fact that BA offers and unrivalled choice of career paths, means that almost everyone should be able to find something close to their ideal lifestyle within BA. In fact if you can't to be honest you are probably in the wrong career!
Obviously there are other considerations - pay, pension - how much of a drop you take to go there etc. For me it was a no-brainer but for an ezy skipper in newcastle I can see how it is a different equation.
However - all the thoughts of 15 years of compound interest and lost salary assume that things will stay similar to how they are at the moment, which ain't gonna happen. Personally my view is that, yes there may be more erosion in t's & c's, or maybe not, but I beleive that BA will always be there or thereabouts at the top. I also think that the low cost dog has had its day. Neither Ezy, nor Ryr have operated a stable, non-expanding business with an increasing cost-base and I don't think either of them will do particularly well doing so. BA have for a number of years operated a stable, occasionaly profitable ( ) business and will continue to do so in my view.
The looming demise of the EU and euro will have catastrophic impacts on many businesses around the world in the short term - again I think the legacy carriers with their global route network and mix of premium and economy pax will wether this alot better than the 1 trick-pony of the low-cost europe only, economy only passengers.

the economic stuff is all just my thoughts and to be honest you may as well toss a coin when it comes to second guessing that stuff - but from my view BA is the only place to be.