PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA - lifestyle and work/life balance
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2011, 12:32
SR71

Mach 3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The point is though that BA remains the benchmark for the UK. You can pretty much guarantee that if we lose a particular perk, it will go for the rest as well - be that pay or conditions.
I think its the other way round isn't it?

The erosion of T&C's across the industry starts with the path of least resistance, which IMHO, occurs at the airlines where the workforce is most poorly organised or represented.

I'm not sure I know of many other airlines in the UK which use bid line rules and my fear is that this one major bonus of working for BA is actually highly inefficient.

I cannot really support my contention and no doubt BALPA at BA would do a good job of demonstrating how, perhaps, both the tangible and the intangible benefits of this rostering paradigm actually outweigh any purely financial analysis, yet I cannot help feeling that this aspect of the business model is coming under increasing scrutiny.

It is the same with the payscales in the light of an increase of retirement age which has made only 24 scales a huge cost.

The financial considerations of joining BA are one part of an important equation but for LHS occupants at other airlines in the middle of their working lives, they are significant.

Any erosion in these aspects of the BA package is significant.

Any comments on the above sentiments would I am sure be much appreciated.