PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 8
Thread: Ryanair - 8
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2011, 22:51
DomyDom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FR base at MAN

As I mentioned in previous posts, Ryanair devlopment at MAN was always likely to be interesting and certainly has provoked some debate.

To give my overview I think Ryanair's base at MAN should be cautiously welcolmed. While not wanting to go over old ground again I think they have prompted some competition, evidence of which (I know I will be reprimanded again by easyflyer83) is EZY's original offering for 2012 rising from only Palma de Mallorca to that plus Madrid, Berlin and Bilbao. OK MAD and SXF were instead of HEL but ask pretty much anyone (i.e. fare paying customers) what they would prefer and are prepared to pay for and I bet we all know the answer! However EZY are doing a great job now (as are Jet2) and I don't think they will do a MOL (Mk1) and throw toys out of pram. Of course nobody likes competition and Jet2 throwing in the towel with Bergamo (to be honest I'm amazed they even wanted to go back anyway based on Flybe being successful into Milan and FR always being on the cards) smacks of an ill considered decision resulting in panic. However don't get me wrong I think Jet2 area a good airline and if they think that they can't compete with FR on some routes they are right to pull them. However perhaps LS should think about providing some eye catching and lucrative services into Poland like Krakow or Portugal with Oporto. They did this with Brive which I believe has done well and will be popular despite FR encrouching with opening Tours.

All I would say for LS and EZY is, don't loose your nerve and retreat from MAN, just get even smarter (more intersting routes that people are prepared to pay for - even Monarch appear to be learning that lesson!) as I think the quality that you provide has the edge and you will continue to succeed at MAN - even if FR sometimes are cheaper.

By the way Jamie2K9 and easyflyer83, thanks and keep up the good work in keeping us enthusiast up to date (and world-rep don't even think of leaving!).

DomyDom