PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots from abroad (especially cadets) not wanted by UK airlines?
Old 14th Jul 2011, 13:14
vikdream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilots from abroad (especially cadets) not wanted by UK airlines?

Hi guys,

I had a flight this morning (currently holding a PP license, expecting to start ATPL/Cadet Pilot Scheme the following year) and I told my flight instructor what my plans were (We are from Barcelona, Spain). I am planning to apply for a cadet pilot program in the UK, and he told me not to do it. He said he knew at least 20 Spanish pilots that went to the UK with the same purpose, and they came back without any job and some of them bankrupted.

He especially focused on one of his friends, that was accepted in a cadet program (I don't where or when), he was hired by FlyBe and fired after 23h flight time. The reason? Because they don't want pilots from abroad... Apparently, it worked the same way for the other 19 Spanish guys.

I don't think that's true... I have never heard anything like that. If that was true it would have come up here in these forums, I think. Can anyone confirm what my instructor said? Does anyone know pilots from abroad (and from a cadet program) that were given the opportunity to fly with an airline?

Thanks everybody, just a bit worried about it (and surprised).

Safe flights