PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 8
Thread: Ryanair - 8
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2011, 19:13
Skipness One Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryanair and Glasgow International are in talks about flights from there. They will not affect there Prestwick base.
Likely true and utter bo*****s at the same time. Any move into GLA would have an impact equal to or potentially larger than the effect on EDI opening did. All the city routes went East leaving PIK with the "taking peely wally Weegies to the sun routes", mainly Scottish outbound routes.

Hence any GLA base would be a potential dual base in the beginning with a few choices,
1) move the PIK sun routes to GLA letting PIK wither
2) duplicate the sun routes at GLA
3) open new city routes in GLA leaving sun routes at PIK

Given Glasgow's legendary inability to make money on European city routes I would be looking at 1) and 2) with 2) being unlikely as they will be competing with each other.

Hence I have no doubt FR and GLA are in talks (again) the main reason is to put the frightereners on PIK who have no other traffic, they have no Plan B. Incidentally if easyJet were to move from the old international pier into the old bmi gates then FR would be able to park the five based PIK units on the old easyJet stands (4,5,8,10). I have landed from London on both gate 26 and 25 recently as this allows EZY to board an international departure from that stand. Hence airbridge served gates 26-23 would be an ideal easyJet operation.....