PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enough is enough
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2011, 09:35
exia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asia CFI jobs

Oh yes... China, Malaysia and the like seem to have plenty of CFI jobs but finding them is the trouble, they are not as adequately advertised as western CFI jobs at all and you really have to hunt for them. problem school such as JTIFS in China can be a B**tch of a land mine for starting-out CFI's which is why websites like Jetcareers and PPRuNe are such an asset to pilots, we NEED to stick together and heed each others advice!

I'm a wannabe and just starting out in this game yet I'm networking like crazy, anyone who's giving hours I'm getting them, I can't afford P2F schemes and heeding the advice of PPRuNe's old guard I'm not even thinking about it, these types of schemes damage the industry worse than FlyForFree starting out jobs ever could, you're basically telling employers that your skills are so worthless you should be paying them!

I'm guilty of contacting JTIFS in China but only to get their latest and greatest on their CFI contracts (As if they won't lie through their teeth, we really need an update on this academy since the last posts regarding it are quite dated, I guess nobody has any new information yet), as a newbie instructor 18 months as a CFI on dog-crap wages is better than a kick in the teeth, we all need hours starting out and Chinas cost of living is pretty low, as long as I'm not eating Mc dog testicle sandwiches for tea all is good, I've researched life in Qingdao, Linyi etc and am confident I could make it there, I won't delve into my own past but given relative experience China doesn't sound like such a huge challenge to me.

I am pursuing other schools though, CFI is a solid hours building route, time tested and still relevant in todays aviation according to the old guard, as you gain experience not only do things like the Cathay CPP take you a little more seriously (as I'm told CFI hours are notable) but you also gain experience as a CFI in itself, giving you more room to wriggle around while chasing that dream, Chinas aviation sector is slowly (Snails pace) opening up and any economy major worth the paper his diploma is printed on will tell you that due to years of outsourcing by the west China has a big stick these days, it makes sense to at least attempt forging some kind of career out there.

I'm already hitting the Rosetta Stone books and setting up meeting Chinese students from a local uni college because they need the practice and so do I. I am prepared to go the distance to achieve my goals and at 22 I have very little to loose, however I am working on academic assets to assist a career gear shift should my best laid plans fall flat on their face (which according to PPRuNe, is around an 80% possibility).

It's all about the motivation it seems, if you're willing to all out, do anything and go anywhere in this game and have the stamina to withstand the torrent of sh*t you have to push through starting out, you stand a chance.

Still, what do I know? I'm just a newbie after all.

You know what they say, chase your dreams but don't give up your day job.
Good luck out there guys!