PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss on JFK runway
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2011, 10:49
BrATCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you quibbling that ATC didn't give a (reason) for the cancelled takeoff clearance?
No, who cares about the actual reason ? It's written in the text : "cancel the takeoff clearance only for the purpose of safety. "
When a controller says "cancel take-off", pilot knows he's got to stop his ACFT ASAP, whatever the actual threat.

In MY (French) phraseology, "clear", "cleared", "clearance", and everything that could be a derivation from "clear" is reserved to TAKE-OFF and LAND clearances. I (French) wouldn't say "clearance" in order to abort a take-off.
But my point in the last paragraph of my previous post was that spoken language is faster (thus safer in this very case) than CPDLC. Phraseology or not, the goal was achieved : LH411 understood the message was for him and stopped in time.
Most of the times, phraseology can not be stuck to in emergency situations. Phraseology must be used to avoid misunderstandings, thus emergency situations.

(To answer your question : in my phraseo, a message includes a callsign... but, you're right, that's quibbling.)

When I control (with my French accent) a USofA or English-speaking-Canadian flight, my SOP is to give a direct and to spell the fix in the same message.
Not because I think the pilot's English is awful : because I know he comes from abroad, procedures are different on his continent and his ear is not used to my accent.
I can't easily change my accent, but I don't bother spelling, saying again and trying in other words when needed. Being clear and understood is part of my job. When I know this pilot has understood what I mean, I can move on to the next emergency message...