PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have The Daily Mail hit the nail on the head - for once?
Old 28th Jun 2011, 17:22
easyflyer83

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not that I was around then but I'd like to think that the airline experience in the 60', 70's and 80's was a darn sight better than what it is now.
It most definitely was I am almost sure....and I was only born in 1983. But we still had to queue for things even then. And how many of us (well those who are old enough) flew as much as we do now and how many airlines were effectively propped up by the state and hugely inefficient?

The actual flying experience isn't as good as it once was, we can all agree on that but we, as the paying public, traded that for reduced fares and rewarded in the fact that many of us fly more than we used to, even if that means we only have a second holiday each year. We still had to queue, I for one remember as a young "un" the check in area at MAN T1 bursting at the seams. The fact is, we just don't like waiting.

I just don't get stressed at the airport so as a consequence I don't understand why people do. Like i said before, if you're prepared and leave plenty of time then there shouldn't be a problem. An airport is one of those places where we are constantly directed. There are screens, signs, placards, people at security giving directions it should all be straight forward. I know thats not always the case and some airports do things better than others but the passenger themselves can help themselves no end. There is only so much an airport can do but processing thousands of passengers a day will inevitably cause bottlenecks and queues in the same way as many scenarios in our everyday life.

And queues are the major gripe when it comes to the airport experience. I think we have seen a marginal increase overall but peoples inpatience can be put down to just that. We have a lower boredom threshold, we all have busy lives. With the latter, I understand that and I understand that things happen and getting to the airport with plenty of time spare doesn't always happen but when do we take responsibility for that rather than placing the blame on a busy airport? An airport that actually may well process pax pretty efficiently but not quick enough for those who either weren't prepared or late?

So in essence, I would never say the airports have got it spot on, don't change. However, the passenger quite often bring on the stress themselves and when a busy airport is thrown into the mix it can become a pressure cooker for some.