PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Speed Vs Altitude LearJet!!!
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2011, 05:58
theaviator2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed Vs Altitude LearJet!!!

Alright sooooo we got a discussion going here between myself and some fellow Lear 60 Pilots and would see if anyone else got some inputs.

In the Lear 60 manual the recommended climb-speeds are 250kts until reaching Mach .70 then .70 til cruise (Normal Climb)

275kts til .70 then .70 til cruise (High Speed Climb)

These are the book values and the values most used between us. Some though believe that we should fly the 60 as the airlines do, doing 310kts from 10.000ft. till cruise. Their thought of mind is that by flying that much faster we will cover more distance hence saving time. On the other hand they understand that by gaining altitude first we would save more fuel but they believe that the more distance covered is worth more in $$ then the fuel saved.

Myself personally normally do the things written in the book, i do believe that the numbers recommended by the factory are the correct numbers and when i do compare the time saved flying at 310kts compared to 250kts is negligent and hardly not there. As i climb faster my TAS increases, my fuel goes down and i do believe that there is hardly no difference in the time saved. But i will be able to reach FL410 10 min faster then the highspeed.

Anyways hope someone got some inputs :-).

Thanks