PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's happened to me?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2011, 21:33
Smudger2487

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some excellent replies already on this subject.... heres my experience, not sure how it will read though...
I am relatively new to flying ( 4 years & 200 hours PIC) but I can still appreciate where your coming from....... very soon after obtaining my licence (& while trying to fly once / week) I realised that the restrictive nature of club flying wasn't working for me..... (too expensive & I also realised that I wasn't going to move onto the flying career I desired-part of my original motivation).
I also found myself struggling with my appetite to fly.......
However a chance "land-away" in a glider at a local farmstrip introduced me to a different side of GA flying - I ended up selling the glider & buying a Permit aircraft which was available for sale at the strip (£8000 very well spent).
The freedom from having my own aircraft (to use as often as i liked / whenever I liked & staying out as long as I liked) has certainly removed a lot of the concerns which were de-motivating me....
I have also found a method which works for me of reducing the lenghty pre-flight planning. I found some programs which I find easy to use... "SPINE" for checking notams, Met office for Forms 215 / 415 / TAFs / METARs. (They can both be checked & printed in about ten minutes).
But what I find really helps is planning my PLOG (i.e navigation) on non flying days..... the site I have found the easiest to use is "Go Flying", It allows you to save any flight Nav logs and then recall them at a later date to enter the wind details ready to use..... it keeps my mind on flying on those days (or weeks) of non flyable weather.... All the above helps keep the pre-flight prep to a more realistic time span.....