PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Smoking in cockpit......and journos exaggerations
Old 25th Jun 2011, 17:32
Lemain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Substance abuse is incompatible with safety in aviation.
I'm not convinced that the term 'substance abuse' should be applied to nicotine. You could argue it both ways but there is a huge stigma associated with 'substance abuse' so probably best not to use the term.

Many, many firms - not just in aviation - refuse to employ smokers. Period. I don't know what the legal situation is in the UK/EU or elsewhere but surely all of us here must know that to be true? I gave up when it got to the point that I was always craving a ciggie -- shops, restaurants, certain workplaces (this was before the blanket EU ban in buildings) etc. I reasoned that I might as well get the grief over with and have done with it.....it worked but it was hell, to be honest.

I see friends with electronic fags today, with little lights on the end and 'smoke' emanating from them. I think they have just transferred their addiction to those, because they are so realistic. Presumably they are safer health-wise, they are not hot so cannot cause damage and seem not to smell as far as I can tell so won't offend even the fussiest other than those who object to their pilots having nicotine in their blood per se, a group I don't have any time for, honestly. Apparently not everyone allows these to be used in non-smoking places? If they are allowed, maybe it's the answer for flight-crew?