PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss on JFK runway
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2011, 20:39
Dunhovrin

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My two cents:

It was just before 1900L I think. I was sat on the gate and saw the Lufty slowing to a stop. I must admit my first though was he'd landed pretty briskly on 22R as he was just past G when he halted. But that's well short for a landing so we flicked up 123.9 in case it was an abort and heard "Lufthaaansa (sic) just stay there no need to comment on what you see in front". Then we saw the EgyptAir pulling on to J from B. It certainly didn't look like he'd crossed at J. But I'm not too sure.

ATC were telling Lufty he could vacate at his leisure, whatever he needed, everyone was really mellow. "Ve just need some time to check the brakes, but ve are fine". I have no idea what time he needed but he was still floating around JFK when we left an hour later. I reckon we would have needed about 45 minutes if we'd aborted at 100 knots, and I'm pretty sure he was slower than that.

I have to say in defence (defense?) of the JFK ATCers, and TRACON, they know what they want, they tell you so and if you tell them what you want in plain English, they accommodate. What they can't handle is "Err errr". You don't need to be standard, just short. I'm 5'6. (Worst case you wind up going via FC for 22R).