PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss on JFK runway
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2011, 22:53
SassyPilotsWife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are SOME of you guys seriously taking from this story, an opportunity to bitch about the proper and professional way ATC should have warned this crew to abandon take off? Seriously? Isn't the fact they did their job under duress which managed to avoid a near hit ? Work together guys! ATC reads these threads as well. And I'm certain those from JFK, LGA and Tieterboro are included. Excellent job ATC. As a pax and wife of a pilot, I wouldn't have cared if you had keyed up and said " STOP THE EFFIN PLANE !!!. Yes there needs to be a level of universal language and proper phraseology but no one is perfect. Especially in an emergency situation with the potential for catastrophe. I do remember a few years back on UAL flight from LAX to SFO and I was listening in on channel 9 and during takeoff I heard ATC say "UAL flt--- abort takeoff, you have traffic on the runway" I was on the R side of the a/c and about 2 seconds later a Delta a/c was seen taxing towards the runway parallel to us. I knew what was going on because I was listening but for those that didn't you heard a few gasp in the cabin. It was a close call and while it was ATC mistake most likely, ( I think that was the last time I chose to use LAX to non rev back home) they did get the crew's attention and saved a near hit.