PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss on JFK runway
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2011, 21:31
B737NG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JFK

I am in JFK now and then and it is allways a mess. Gate blocked, alley blocked, Airplanes waiting everywhere. 30 Min after touchdown on 4R setting the brakes to get towed finaly onto the Gate.

Talking with Irish Pilots not a problem, they talk fast themselves. Having Colleagues with me who speak English in the optimum case as the second language at JFK is pure luck. It takes more time to repeat twice then speak slower and get the message thru the first time. Time consuming to speak fast three times as there is no time in JFK..... No space on the ground and construction ongoing the last 10 years. Landing off non precission approaches after a 10 to 14 hour trip is challenging if you hit all at once.

I had a RWY change from 13R to 22R recently and the same feeling when I looked left on the TWY for Airplanes taxiing towards 22R. Mentaly I am prepareing all odds on the T/O roll. Just in case. Glad when we have a few feet off the ground when someone taxies towards 22R after landing. He has no mirror.......

The Contoller see´s JFK day and night, we overseas customers now and then only and do not know the diffrent agenda of the day.

Thanks God that the Controller catched it and got the LH-Crew to listen and react in due time. Teneriffe was enough.