PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enough is enough
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2011, 15:50
JimbosJet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I honestly feel that ignoring the legacy carriers for the moment, being a positive proactive person with some interest about them goes far further than experience etc. My last two airlines recruited more on amiability and the assumption that my experience was valid for their operation than any psychometric test. You've done the easy bit, anyone can get a license if they apply themselves enough (within reason), for you now the hard work really starts.

If you are really serious about flying then you need to take positive steps to get your name known. Meet people. Build relationships with people that may be in a position to help you out in some way, be it direct employment, information/leads or yet more contacts. Whether you feel it or not, you ARE a commodity now that you have your license, what you must do now is sell yourself - that doesn't mean brash statements about how skilled you are of course, it means you must get out there and market.

You make your own luck. It will most probably take time. Ultimately its a lottery but if you play the game often enough and more often than the next guy/girl then you have more chances of winning than they do.

A lot of people will fall by the wayside which is great so long as you're not one of them. Stay positive, you will gain your goal if you want to. In many ways the current recruitment situation is dire and interviews are few and far between. The simple fact is you WILL get an interview eventually if you stick at it and if you're a half decent chap/girl with a positive attitude and an interesting story or two about how you coped/tackled finding a job then I would put money on you being offered the job then and there!

People in the industry do empathize with people struggling to get their first job and most of us want you to succeed and will help out if we believe you're a good chap and we are in a position to do so. We were almost certainly there ourselves at one point or another.

My previous point about getting out there and meeting as many people connected to the aviation world as possible is absolutely key.

Above all stay healthy and manage any debt you may have sensibly.