PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2011, 17:37
bearfoil

AF 447 Thread no. 4

Thread no. 3 can be found Here.

As this series of threads has become of epic proportion, the following observation from jpete regarding search filtering may be of interest -

You can achieve a search of only the 4 threads by using the following search string in Google

ths af447 site:http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/

this will search for mentions of THS in the AF447 threads of tech log only. Just change the THS in the string to whatever you want to look for. Adding the site:URL end part is the magic that restricts Google to only searching in the tech log on here

I take your view re: Boyd. So did Schwarzkopf. Your impression is anti OODA. It is also anti (airline) pilot, for the Colonel had other precepts that made OODA, as he taught it, revolutionary. Autonomy, Agility, Mobility. (FFS) are you in Wiki? Have you read Coram? John Boyd's ACM? His "Creation and Destruction"? Read Pierre Sprey on Boyd. The "Acolytes".

Agility is both a cerebral and logistical norm in OODA. As such, it is being applied in Leadership, Military, and economic models. OODA can be deadly without the tools innate in the trained Warrior (combat pilot). It is more than turning inside the scissors, and wasting his tail.

Applied to fbw, it is a disaster, hence my original question. The crew in any modern airliner, to include Boeing, gets immediately into trouble since his vehicle is a thing of mystery in certain regimes. and as PJ2 says, "Wait.....Wait....." etc. That is the antithesis of OODA, don't you agree? Wait until the enemy does something you recognize?

Our PF was reacting to a screen, which is his intel, and he acted. Downhill from there? He wasn't in the loop at all, and his adversary may have been his platform.

Boyd demonstrated new ways to fly in genII a/c, the F-100, specifically. I would dearly love to see an improvement in man/machine. Wouldn't you? I think OODA is a point too far. I would love to hear gums on this, though I think he was in the Branch that disowned Boyd to their distinct detriment. Are you A Marine Pilot? The Marines have a statue built in is honor.

Conclusively, I think OODA would be a disaster for Air Travel. It would be expensive, there would be high washout, etc. Should we start by re-introducing Man to his Machine?

Trimmable Horizontal Stabilizer. For anyone who wishes, take a peek at the pic Machaca posted of the Inner tail cone where the engineer was on a ladder working on the RCU. Look specifically at the Jackscrew and suss which direction it must move to orient the THS in a specific manner. In the pic, it is in ND. To acquire NU, the hydraulic motor turns anti clockwise and the threaded collet distances itself from the fixed motor. As it's Arm increases, the screw itself is in greater torsional stress, and I might entertain that with the enormous feedback of a maximum effort deflection, some damage may result in the threads. If the forces were intermittent, and opposing, the critical point may have been surpassed. HazelNuts39 has posted a graph which should give anyone the willies.

Anticipating a familiar (knee jerk) response from those who have blind faith in the integrity of this airframe, I will even suggest a method to disprove. Without question BEA know the performance of this system, and the actuals will out. The most important evidence for mechanical failure is already in the Public Domain.

1.The THS remained in its near max position for seven miles down.

2. Any pilot who honestly looks at the evidence would say that cannot happen.

Last edited by bearfoil; 15th Jun 2011 at 23:03.