PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your airlines' policy about the use of automation during flight?
Old 14th Jun 2011, 07:57
despegue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am SO GLAD and conforted that our industry is not lost yet, and that common sense and airmanship still exists among Pprune members.

FD are there to give you guidance. (at least the cross-bars). They are a tendency indicator, indicating what George would do. George has no brain, only a chip.
You, the pilot have the brain and are the ultimate checker and decisionmaker. NEVER GEORGE. See through the F/D when using it.
Once people "get" this, they will start flying smoother. A remedy I often use with FO's who are "less than smooth" in their controls. Is to let them fly the aircraft by putting F/D's off and then telling them to control the aircraft with putting pressure on the yoke by only using the "pushing" hand. Smoothly and without yanking like a horny teenager
It almost always result in a confortable flight, happy passengers and crew and a happy aircraft

For the Engine failure: remember that on some variants of the Boeing, the FD is not to be followed in the original aftermath from a failure. Keep your track to the original RWY (so important!), keep your pitch for the required speed. Do not pump but be gentle, your plane has just lost half of her juice, she is upset...

regards,

Despegue "the Belgian".