PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Western Michigan
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2002, 14:44
no sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Introducing the Ab-initio to the US is not new. Flight Safety did a CAA CAP509 at their school in Florida up until 1999. They charged £28,000 for the entire course. Unfortunately, with the JAA they pulled the plug on offering that course. (I was about to go on it)

My point regarding a school not allowing non-sponsored people onto a course is that you automatically place yourself in a high-risk category when you lose a airline contract, or the airlines pull-out (as they have now done). Therefore, you instantly set yourself up to fail as a business. You will notice that no school in Europe will do that, for that exact reason. Therefore, potentially WMU have a considerable exposure. What is clear, is that there are always self-sponsored guys through the good times and bad - ask Cabair or OATS.

I would say 5 hr time difference is a considerable one. I've worked in many countries around the world, and yes you can cope with getting up early/staying up late, but what do you do when they ask you to come in for a chat? Jump on a plane at the drop of a hat? This, I imagine Hand Solo, is not something you contended with as a airline cadet?

The reason to go to the US is the cheaper flight training costs. If WMU are charging the same as OATS, more than BAe or Cabair, but have the same, if not worse weather than Northern Europe, what is their unique value? Why should you spend all that dosh to have the same service as something closer to home?

I could understand going to flight-safety, as it was £10K cheaper at the time, but I honestly can't see what WMU gives you, that the others don't. (Unless you like flying across the pond).