PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Western Michigan
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2002, 01:04
Hand Solo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, I feel unusually defensive of my alma mater for some reason! WMUs first course was self sponsored, after that they went purely for airline sponsored cadets because they're worth more money (which you can't blame them for) and becuase their long term objective is to introduce the ab-initio concept to the USA, which they have limited success on so far. I'm not implying people should pay £35000 for air conditioning, but every time you shoot an ILS or touch and go in the UK the £ sign flashes up, and there's much to be said for the ability to do as many approaches as you like, whenever you like, at no extra cost. The question shouldn't really be 'how much' but 'what do I get for my money'. It's not a great idea to skimp on the start of your career if you can avoid it.

PS WMU is only 5hrs behind the UK, so you can easily get hold of people in Blighty during office hours, plus my phone bill was about 4 cents per minute to the UK anytime.

PPS I should also add that of the initial self-sponsored guys that completed the course, most found good airline jobs soon after completion.

[ 11 February 2002: Message edited by: Hand Solo ]</p>