PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2011, 16:15
Lonewolf_50

Received 394 Likes on 244 Posts
Rananim:
It is my strong suspicion(based on what we know) that a good air accident authority would fault both plane and pilot in this case.

It is also my strong suspicion that only fault will be found with the pilots. They can quite legitimately use the old excuse "the pilot did not know/understand the aircraft".
In that last sentence lies a large body of investigation that either will or won't get answered: why?

You are I am sure aware of the following, but FWIW as this forum has lots of non pilot readers ...

A good accident authority ought to uncover systemic factors (training, culture, SOP, scheduling, maintenance, equipment, etcetera), and other contributing factors that help align the holes leading to the human factors you point to. Man-machine interface ain't out of the woods yet ...

The subtlety of some of those factors is lost on the public. In the rush to get to court and settle via money, when "blame fixing" trumps pursuit of detailed causes and remedies for accidents, the public noise may drown out the voices speaking of "problem(s) -> solutions(s)" ... with the risk that the right ears won't hear and decide upon which to implement.

If the root causes are not both identified and addressed, something like this will happen again. A question we learned to ask when I contributed to mishap investigations:
were they set up to fail?
If so, how?