PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Allowable medicines for flying
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2011, 10:05
PA-28-180

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good one Gingernut!

Actually, Tramadol is listed as a 'synthetic opioid", but primarily because it's centrally acting - in other words, it acts on the central nervous system - in America, for example, this medication is not on the Controlled Substance List and canNOT be used for the treatment of opiate withdrawal. It acts more like an antidepressant, which is why you can't use it if you're taking SSRI's, like prozac, or the older, tricyclic antidepressant medications. Antidepressant medications, such as amyltryptaline are often used in chronic pain management cases - but I think that the use of these medications are ALSO not approved for flying. In any case, just given the possible side effects, such as seizure, not a good idea for flying or driving! Also, there IS a withdrawal syndrome associated with Tramadol....so, at least in my practice, I don't use this medication very often...codeine is more effective, with less side effects for most patients when used at the correct, titrated dosage. Best of luck and I hope your feeling better and flying again soon!